Home » » I didn’t give late Adeleke drug overdose - Nurse claims

I didn’t give late Adeleke drug overdose - Nurse claims

The nurse who treated Sen. Isiaka Adeleke before he died, Mr Alfred Aderibigbe, has denied claims that he administered an overdose of a banned injection, Analgin, on Adeleke, which led to his sudden death last month. The Chief Medical Doctor of the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Prof. Akeem Lasisi, had told a coroner investigating Adeleke's sudden death that preliminary investigations carried out by a team of medical experts, showed that the senator died of an overdose of a banned injection.

Aderibigbe who testified before the coroner today May 18th, said he had been Adeleke's nurse for over 15 years. According to him, all the drugs he administered on the late first civilian governor of Osun  were in  normal dosage. He added that it was the drugs given to him by the late senator that he ordered. 
“The senator gave me his drugs  which he brought from Lagos  to keep  on the evening of  Monday, April 17,  with the understanding that when he wants to take them,  he will call me to bring  them. 
On Sunday, April 23, at about 4 am, I was, however,  woken up by two men from the senator who banged on my gate and later informed me that the senator had been  calling my phone and that  I was not picking my calls.  
They said the senator needed me to come and treat him and that I should bring his drugs along. 
 I later went inside to get them and also found the  calls I missed on my phone. I called the senator but his friend, one Dipo Fagborode,  picked his call."
Continuing he said:
"As he was explaining what was going on, the senator himself collected the phone and asked  me to come quickly  that he was having serious knee  pains. 
When I got to the senator’s house, he asked  for his drugs and gave me his prescription which contained the dose I was to administer on him. 
The drugs which the senator kept with me that was to be administered  on him were Analgin injection, Diazepam injection, photroine injection and hydrocortisone. 
But the senator said I should not give him hydrocortisone because when he took it in Lagos, he had headache and was also vomiting. 
So the other drugs was what I gave him and they were in the right dosage. 
Even when the prescription said he should be given 20mg of diazepam, I had to limit it to 10mg because I discovered he had taken some oral pain painkillers.  
The two other injections I gave him were in the right proportion too– 50mg of Analgin and 1mg of photroine. 

 I waited for him to sleep and finish the drip/water I had already placed him on before I took my leave around 7:30 am
The reason I took my leave was to inform my church  because the day was a Sunday and  I would  not be able to teach the Sunday class. 
I returned  back to the Adeleke  residence  by 9:30 amBefore I left, I had told the senator’s friend, who was with me throughout the treatment,  to watch over him.  When I returned, I found the senator in the sleeping position I left him, and  on closer observation, his heart rate had dropped and his pulse was faint. I quickly gave him cardiac massage and called on his friend,  Dipo,  to assist me  and when the situation was beyond my control, I raised an alarm and he was quickly rushed to Biket hospital. By the time we got him to Biket hospital, the CMD, Dr Adebisi Adenle,  examined  his body and pronounced him “Brought in Dead.”
He asked  his friend what happen and he was told that the deceased complained of knee  joint pain and that I gave him some treatment.
“The doctor now  asked  me  what drugs I administered  on the deceased and I told him.  He  then said it was the normal drug  treatment for  gout.  But as the empty containers and  the previous drugs the deceased had taken were brought to the hospital on the doctor’s request, lies broke out that he died of overdose. The lies were generated by the crowd that had gathered at the hospital  because Sen. Adeleke’s campaign bus and his Escalade were used to convey him to the hospital.  As they drove against traffic, people got the hint that he was in trouble and gathered to find out more. 
The nurse stated that since the senator died, he had been arrested and detained by the police. He was however granted bail on May 2nd and has not returned home or work since then. He also stated that his wife and children have not been able to return to their home since the incident.
The coroner’s  sitting was later adjourned till Friday.


Post a Comment